Odoo • Image and Text

Mission and History

Mission

The Maryland Rehabilitation Association is an inter-disciplinary, professional organization committed to promoting best practices in rehabilitation services for people with disabilities and to supporting professionals in the field. This mission is accomplished through inter-disciplinary communication, educational activities, legislative activity, and organizational growth and development.

History

  • 1999 – The MRA is recognized as Chapter of the Year by the NRA at its national meeting.

  • 1996 – The Mid-Atlantic Region of the NRA holds another three-day conference in Baltimore.

  • ​1978 – The Mid-Atlantic Region of the NRA holds its three-day conference in Baltimore.

  • ​1978 – MRA votes to support local legislation to establish parking spaces for the disabled in retail shopping parking lots.

  • ​1970 – Membership in MRA reaches over 700. Mr. Mark Stancil gives a report at the annual meeting on the status of Maryland's Rehabilitation Center under construction.

  • ​1965 – The first issue of the MRA newsletter is handed out to members.  Discussions were held at the annual meeting regarding the development of a public comprehensive rehabilitation center in the state.  The Baltimore Sun reports that the MRA is sponsoring legislation to develop the center.

  • 1964 – The name of the Maryland chapter of the NRA is officially changed to the Maryland Rehabilitation Association.

  • ​1960 – A committee is appointed to consider citations and awards as the MRA awards program begins.

  • ​1954 – The NRA holds its annual conference in Baltimore.

  • 1950 – The Maryland chapter of the National Rehabilitation Association was organized with 205 members. The first statewide meeting was held October 11, 1950, at the Lord Baltimore Hotel.